Nom Away at 3 Delicious S'More Recipes for National S'Mores Day
S’mores are a campfire favorite made from three basic ingredients – graham crackers, toasted marshmallows, and melted chocolate bars. Don’t have a campfire today? No problem! You can easily make this delicious treat with an oven, microwave, or this super convenient Nostalgia Electrics S’mores Maker. Feeling adventurous? Try one (or all) of these three easy, and equally delicious, s’mores themed desserts!
Easy S’More Recipe
S’mores Whoopie Pies
Melted chocolate with a delicious marshmallow buttercream frosting sandwiched between two chewy graham cracker cookies…need I say more?
Graham Cracker Cookies
- 1¾ cup graham cracker crumbs (about 2 packages)
- 1 cup + 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vinegar
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- ¼ cup milk (you can use whole milk again for a richer taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 14 ounces of milk chocolate chips
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Crush up the graham crackers in to crumbs. To make it easier, you can use this KitchenAid food processor. Or you can go the old fashioned way and use a large ziplock bag and a rolling pin.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, vanilla, baking soda, vinegar and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, combine ½ butter and brown sugar using the paddle attachment.
- After creaming the sugar and butter together for 2 minutes, add the eggs in one at a time.
- Slowly alternate adding in the milk mixture and the flour mixture, mix until just combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop, place 2 inch balls of batter on a cookie sheet. If you don’t have a cookie scoop, you can also use a smaller ice cream scoop or put all of the dough into a large zip-top bag and cut the tip. The dough will spread as it bakes, so make sure to leave about 2-3 inches of space between each cookie. I recommend not having more than 10 to a pan, to be safe.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, let them sit on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes, then move to a cooling rack to completely cool.
- While the cookies are baking, mix together all of the marshmallow buttercream ingredients using a hand mixer. Start by creaming the butter, then add all of the other ingredients, mixing for several minutes to allow the frosting to become full and fluffy. When the buttercream is fully mixed, pop it in the fridge for a few minutes to allow it to set up a bit.
- In a microwave safe bowl (or you can use a small sauce pan over the stove) melt the chocolate in the microwave. Start with 1 minute, stirring occasionally, and add more time as needed to fully melt the chocolate. Once the chocolate is melted, add a pinch of salt and stir to combine.
- Take a cookie and scoop 1 Tablespoon of chocolate on top, then take another cookie and scoop 1 Tablespoon of the marshmallow buttercream. Sandwich the two cookies together and place on a cooled, parchment lined, cookie sheet.
- Place the full tray of cookies in the fridge for about 30 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden before moving them to an air-tight container.
I brought these delicious treats to work the next day and they were a huge hit! Added bonus, you will have a little bit of extra frosting and chocolate…it would be a shame to let that go to waste! Grab some of those leftover graham crackers and split them into quarter sizes. Take the frosting and sandwich them in between two crackers, then dip one end of the sandwich into the melted chocolate. Refrigerate until the chocolate hardens and enjoy this simple snack throughout the rest of the week!
Easier S’More Recipe
S’mores Puppy Chow
Puppy chow? Good! S’mores? GOOD! So, why not take a walk on the wild side and combine the two? Traditional puppy chow is amazing just by itself, but simply adding some Golden Grahams cereal and marshmallows takes it to a whole new level! Give this simple recipe a try. I promise, you won’t be disappointed!
- 5 cups golden graham cereal, divided
- 3 cups Chex cereal
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1½ cup chocolate chips, divided
- 1¾ cup mini marshmallows, divided
- Combine 4 cups of Golden Grahams cereal and 3 cups of Chex cereal in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Put 1 cup of powdered sugar in a large gallon ziplock back and set aside.
- Combine your peanut butter and 1 cup of your chocolate chips in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir, then another 30 seconds and stir, add another 30 seconds if needed. You can also use a small sauce pan and melt the chocolate over the stove, if preferred. Just keep your heat setting on low to ensure the chocolate does not burn.
- Add 1 cup of mini marshmallows to your chocolate and peanut butter mixture, stir together so the marshmallows melt a little.
- Pour your chocolate mixture over the cereal and stir together until the cereal is completely coated. I ended up melting another ¼ cup of chocolate with a spoonful of peanut butter to make sure everything was coated as evenly as possible.
- Carefully scoop the chocolate coated cereal into the ziplock bag with powdered sugar (if you have one, you can also use a large bowl with a lid to make it easier).
- Shake the bag (or bowl) until the cereal is completely coated with powdered sugar – feel free to add more powdered sugar, as desired.
- Pour the cereal into another large bowl and mix in the remaining ½ cup of chocolate chips, ¾ cup of marshmallows, and 1 cup of Golden Grahams cereal.
- Serve and enjoy!
Easiest S’More Recipe
The best part about this dessert, besides it being ridiculously easy, is that you can make any portion size your heart desires because there really isn’t a set recipe to follow! Perfect for a quick late night snack or movie night treat! To start, grab your preferred oven-safe baking dish – cast iron skillet, cake pan, ramekin bowl – anything will work!
- Chocolate – you can use chips or bars, whichever you prefer. This time around, I used milk chocolate chips. But, you can even switch it up and use mini Reese’s peanut butter cups!
- Large marshmallows
- Graham crackers
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (or you can also use the broil function, if you want).
- Lightly coat your chosen baking dish with a nonstick spray.
- Grab your chocolate and place it in the bottom of the dish –I used chocolate chips and needed about a cup for the size dish I was using, just enough to cover the bottom ¼ of the dish.
- Top the chocolate with the marshmallows – make sure to leave a little bit of breathing room for the mallows, they will expand in the heat.
- Put the dish in the preheated oven for about 5-7 minutes, until the marshmallows turn a rich golden brown color.
- Grab your graham crackers, dip and enjoy!
It takes less than 10 minutes and you’ve got yourself all the perfection of a s’more without the hassle of a campfire!
I hope you are able to enjoy one, or all, of these recipes as much as I do! Happy baking and happy National S’more Day!