Outdoor Fun Under The Summer Sun
Summer is finally here. As the sun warms up and flowers start to bloom, we all get a bit “itchy” and want to head outside. Lawn mowing and weed pulling are a must, but what we need every once in a while is some good old-fashioned PLAY TIME! We’ve compiled a list with some of our backyard favorites.
- Freeze Tag- There is something grand about freezing like a statue and hoping to be tagged or unfrozen. We all seem to freeze in a position that a bit over-the-top and vaguely reminiscent of a frog in mid-leap. Freeze Tag can be played with unlimited numbers over multiple front yards.
- Flashlight Tag- This is the night-time variation of regular tag. The person who is “it” uses a flashlight to shine a beam of light on those hiding. What may have been a predictable hiding spot during the day can easily become the ultimate hideout at night. Kids love flashlights so this is a great game to play in the summer evenings and on camping trips.
- Bocce Ball – Bocce is one of the oldest outdoor games and is in the midst of a big comeback. Like most great games, it can be played almost anywhere. It’s just as much fun on a sandy beach as it is in your own backyard. You’ll never play the same game twice; it’s easy to learn, tough to master.
- Sardines – Remember the reverse Hide-and-Go-Seek game? Whoever is “it” must hide and everyone else tries to find them. When you do find “it” you must hide right along with them. This is a great way to include players of all ages.
- Cloud Art- Just relax and look at the clouds. Can you see that train? Or that lollipop? The possibilities are limitless. This is a great way to unwind and enjoy the splendor of nature.
- Sprinklers – This game is a dual treat as it also serves as a landscaping technique. All you have to do is turn on a sprinkler and run through the arches of water spray. Soon enough, you be leaping and turning cartwheel through the water! You can add music and play Musical Sprinklers as well, trying not to get caught in the water stream when the music stops.
And when all else fails, simply sit back and watch the sun set, enjoy a cricket concert, and wait for the fireflies to appear. Summer is a gift to be treasured as it will fade soon enough. Take advantage of this most favored season while you can. Tell us your favorite summer-time games in the comments below.