St. Patrick's Day 2014
Did you know the original color of St. Patrick’s Day was blue? What was once a religious feast has now become a day to celebrate Irish culture, whether you’re in fact Irish or simply Irish at heart! There are parades, dancing, special food and a WHOLE LOT of green! May luck find you today!
Four DIY Projects
- Treat Bags: You’ll need a clear plastic bag. Fill it with Rolos and Skittles. Tie a rainbow colored bow to keep it all together. Put a tag on it: “You’re the pot of gold at the end of my rainbow.”
- Shamrock Painting: Get a piece of mat board and a tube of modge podge. Rip out pages from an old book and use the modge podge to stick them to the board. Cut out the shape of a shamrock with plain paper and tape it to the center of your board. Use different shades of green paint and dab it on around the shamrock. Use a stamp with texture to texturize it a bit.
- Party Tassel: Buy different shades of green tassels and string them up!
- St. Patricks’s Photo Booth: One mason jar, mustaches, gold coins, chop sticks, hot glue, paper, top hats, shamrocks, leprechauns and other embellishments. Get gluing and have fun!
- Skinny Shamrock Shake: 1 cup low fat vanilla frozen yogurt, ½ cup low fat Cool Whip, 4 ice cubs, ½ cup almond milk, ½ tsp. peppermint extract, 1 tsp. stevia and then blend together.
- Grasshopper Brownie Cups: 1 box brownie mix, ½ cup water, ½ vegetable oil, 1 egg, ½ chocolate sauce, 12 scoops mint chocolate chip ice cream, 12 Andes mints chopped. Mix up and put in the brownie cups. Preheat 350 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Leprechaun Bait: 12 ounces milk chocolate chips, 12 ounces white chocolate chips, 2 tbs. vegetable oil, 20 mint Oreos, 1 cup Andes candies, 1 cup green M&M’s and green sprinkles. Crunch all together and drizzle the chocolate over the top. Refrigerate until hard.
- Lucky Charm Treats: ¼ butter, 4 cups marshmallows, 6 cups of Rice Krispie cereal, ½ tsp. vanilla extract, green food coloring, ¾ cup of Lucky Charms. Melt butter, mix ingredients and enjoy!
Four Decor Ideas
- Saint Patrick’s Centerpieces: Buy three hurricane candle vases, get white candles to put in them and fill it about half way up with split peas or other green items.
- Lucky Shamrock Banner: Pick out green and white fabric. Cut five triangles. You can find shamrock cut-outs at the dollar store and glue them to the triangles. You’ll need chipboard letters to cut out the letters to spell “Lucky.” Then string it all up and add contrast fabric pieces in between for more detail.
- Chalk Board Décor: Use an old chalk board and write down your favorite Irish quote: “May the road rise to meet you, may the wind always be at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your face, may the rains falls softly upon your fields.” –Irish Blessing
- Lucky Mantel Blocks: Take six wood blocks and place them on your mantel. Use scrapbook paper to cut out the letters to spell lucky. Get shamrock tab pins to stick the letters on each individual block. Save one block for the shamrock!
If you’re short on time and want to add a touch of St. Patrick’s Day to your house without much effort, shop our “Luck of the Irish” Pinterest board!