7 Halloween Cocktails to Die For
Who said Halloween had to be all about the kids? Invite your friends and family over and impress them with an array of Halloween cocktails to get night started off right! We’ve compiled a list of spooky cocktails that are sure to hit the spot at your Halloween party.
Shrunken Heads in Cider
2 cups lemon juice
2 tablespoons coarse salt
8 large Granny Smith apples
32 whole cloves
2 gallons apple cider
2 (12-ounce) cans frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
2 cups spiced rum (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a medium bowl, mix together lemon juice and salt; set aside.
2. Peel apples and cut each in half through the stem; remove seeds and core. Using a sharp paring knife, carve a face, as desired, on the rounded side of each apple half. Place apples in lemon mixture for one minute; transfer to paper towels to drain.
3. Place apples, face-side up on prepared baking sheet and transfer to oven. Let bake until apples are dry and begin to brown around the edges, about 90 minutes. Remove apples from baking sheets and press cloves into the “eye” sockets.
4. Combine cider, lemonade, and rum (if using) in a large punchbowl; float shrunken heads on top.
Black Devil Martini
2 oz. dark rum
1/2 oz. dry vermouth
Stir and strain into chilled martini glass that has been rimmed with orange sugar, then garnish with black olives.
1 1/2 oz. Bacardi “0”
1/2 oz. Cointreau
2 oz. pineapple juice
1 Tbs. strawberry or raspberry puree
Pour rum, Cointreau and juice into a shaker with ice. Shake mixture, then pour into a rocks glass. Dip the end of a drinking straw into the berry puree, hold the tip of your finger over the other end and use the straw to squirt puree into the bottom half-inch of the drink, where it will sink in red blobs. Do not stir.
2 oz. mixed pineapple and cranberry juice
2 oz. 7-Up or Sprite
1-1/4 oz. shot Malibu Coconut Rum
Mix juices and 7-Up or Sprite in a highball glass. Pour shot of rum down the side of the glass right before drinking.
1 oz. apricot brandy
1 oz. light rum
1 oz. dark or Jamaican rum
1 oz. lime juice
2 dashes grenadine
1 oz. Bacardi 151 rum
1. Mix light and dark rum and brandy in a cocktail shaker, add lime juice and grenadine. Shake well and strain into a highball glass filled with cracked ice.
2. Fill glass with orange juice, but leave enough room to float the Bacardi 151 rum on top. Garnish with a cherry and an orange slice.
1 scoop vanilla ice cream
1 oz. triple sec
1/2 oz. white crème de cacao
drizzle of grenadine
Blend all ingredients except grenadine until smooth, pour into a stemmed cocktail glass. Drizzle grenadine over the top.
Non-alcoholic Cemetery Slime Punch
2 liters diet root beer
24 gummy worms, plus more if desired
1 pint low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt
1 pint low-fat chocolate frozen yogurt
1. Arrange the gummy worms in a 12-compartment ice tray, letting them hang out over the edges of the tray. Fill with root beer and freeze at least four hours or overnight.
2. With a small ice cream scoop, fill the bottom of a one-gallon punch bowl with scoops of both frozen yogurts, using the full container of each. Very slowly fill the punch bowl with root beer, which will foam up to create the “slime.”
3. Float the wormy ice cubes on top of the punch. Fill each punch cup with a scoop of ice cream and an ice cube. Float additional worms on top of the punch or in each glass.